Tuesday, September 10, 2013

VOCABULARY #4

Accolade: An award or privilege granted for special honor.
I received an accolade for making it to regionals in gymnastics.
Acerbity: A sharp bitterness.
I don't understand why shes showing such acerbity she has towards me on behalf of the fact I have done nothing to deserve that from her.
Attrition: The act of weakening by attack or pressure.
The attrition showed in my beam routine at State Championships as I fell of during my routine.
Bromide: An unoriginal idea or remark.
The quotes she puts on Facebook are very bromide because she simply takes them off the Internet for her own use.
Chauvinist: A person displaying aggressive or exaggerated patriotism.
I saw a chauvinist veteran in the parade on Veterans’s Day.
Chronic: Persisting for a long time.
I have had chronic pain in my knee since I injured it a month ago.
Expound: Present and explain systematically in detail.
In order for the students to understand the new topic the teach had to expound the topic several times.
Factionalism: Relating or belonging to a faction (group).
There is factionalism in clubs at school.
Immaculate: Perfectly clean and tidy.
I like to keep my room in immaculate form.
Imprecation: A spoken curse.
The witch placed an imprecation on the man for what he had done.
Ineluctable: Can't be resisted or avoided.
Trying not to hit any red lights was ineluctable.
Mercurial: Subject to sudden or unpredictable changes in mood or mind.
My parents can be mercurial about things.
Palliate: To make less severe or unpleasant.
The girl was in so much pain everyone just tried to palliate the pain.
Protocol: The official procedure or system of rules governing affairs of state.
It was protocol for the public to vote before a president could be selected.
Resplendent: Attractive and impressive through being richly colorful or sumptuous.
Her resplendent dress stood out amongst the rest of dresses.
Stigmatize: Described or regarded as worthy of disgrace or great disapproval.
His mother stigmatized hers sons new girlfriend because of the way she dressed.
Sub rosa: Happening or done in secret.
In order to throw a surprise parter, one must do things sub rosa.
Vainglory: Excessively vain.
After winning all of the prizes, she was vainglory and nobody wanted to be around her.
Vestige: A trace of something that is disappearing or no longer exists.
The missing girl left a vestige of things that led me straight to her.
Volition: The faculty or power of using one's will.
When I get rejected it simply creates volition inside of me to want what I'm going after even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment