Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Vocabulary #3

NOTE: I don't know why this thing didnt post I appologize my laptop is making me very upset right now.
Apostate: a person who renounces a religious or political belief or principle.
She has an apostate attitude towards the religious beliefs that her parents instilled in her.
Effusive: pouring out; overflowing
She was very effusive through her poetry because of the deep emotion she put into it.
Impasse: When I got stuck in a playhouse when I was little I felt I was in an impasse situation.
He found himself in complete impasse when put between his wife and mom.
Euphoria: a state of intense happiness and self-confidence
I was in a euphoria when I got my back handspring on high beam.
Lugubrious: mournful, dismal, or gloomy, especially in an affected, exaggerated, or unrelieved manner
Sierra made her life sound so lugubrious that everyone felt sorry for her.
Bravado: a pretentious, swaggering display of courage.
This girl on my team has a very bravado attitude and thinks she can do anything and is above everyone else.
Consensus: majority of opinion
My mother and I came to a consensus that instead of arguing with each other we would talk things out.
Dichotomy: division into two parts, kinds, etc.; subdivision into halves or pairs.
The twins have a dichotomy room so that they can each have their own space.
Constrict: to draw or press in; cause to contract or shrink; compress.
When I was in Uganda I had to constrict when we got in the taxi vans because I was the smallest person with the littlest amount of room left.
Gothic: pertaining to the Middle Ages; medieval.
The gothic architecture was very popular during the middle ages.
Punctilio: a fine point, particular, or detail, as of conduct, ceremony, or procedure.
The girls I babysit have a very punctilious schedule that must be followed precisely.
Metamorphosis: a complete change of form, structure, or substance, as transformation by magic or witchcraft.
I believe one of the most beautiful metamorphic cycles is the butterfly one.
Raconteur: a person who is skilled in relating stories and anecdotes interestingly.
My grandpa is very raconteur when tells us his stories and tales.
sine qua non: an indispensable condition, element, or factor; something essential
Grips are some qua non if you what to have an amazing bar routine.
quixotic: extravagantly chivalrous or romantic; visionary, impractical, or impracticable.
I find Nicholas Sparks books to be quite quixotic.
Vendetta: bitter feud, rivalry, contention
The vendetta between the Montagues and Capulets spoiled Romeo and Juliet’s love.
non sequitur: Logic. an inference or a conclusion that does not follow from the premises.
I always get a bit disturbed when someone tells me a math problem is non sequitur because it just makes me over think the problem.
Mystique: an aura of mystery or mystical power surrounding a particular occupation or pursuit
Throughout the novel there was a mystique kind of feeling.
Quagmire: soft boggy area of land
The resi pit at gymnastics is very quagmire.

No comments:

Post a Comment