Wednesday, August 21, 2013

VOCABULARY #1

adumbrate- to briefly outline; foreshadow
My teacher was able to adumbrate that I didn't study very well, based on the test grade I received.
apotheosis- the highest point in the development of something, a climax
The apotheosis of Pretty Little Liars was when "A" was uncovered.
ascetic- a person that dedicates their life to a pursuit of contemplative ideals or practices
A great example of a person that lives an ascetic lifestyle is a nun.
bauble- a small trinket
My friend brought me back a small bauble from her trip that I placed on my night stand.
beguile- to charm or enchant someone
Justin tried to impress her by being beguile towards her.
burgeon- begin to grow rapidly
I started to have a burgeon growth spurt.
complement- a thing that completes or brings to perfection
The color of her shirt complemented her eyes very nicely.
contumacious- stubbornly or willingly disobedient to authority
The troubled young adult was constantly being contumacious towards the law.
curmudgeon- a bad-tempered person
She has a very curmudgeon personality and gets angry over the smallest things.
didactic- intended to teach
The moral message of the story was didactic in teaching kindness.
disingenuous-not candid or sincere
Her apology was disingenuous and meant nothing to me.
exculpate- to prove that someone isn't guilty
Emma's friend tried to exculpate her from getting in trouble by the teacher.
faux pas- an act of embarrassment
When I slipped on the moss by the Black Sea in Turkey it was a faux pas.
fulminate- to explode with loud noise; detonate
When the fireworks went off the noise was fulminate.
hauteur- haughty manner or spirit; arrogance
She had a very haughty attitude and thought she was above everyone.
jeremiad- prolonged lamentation or mournful complaint
There is always jeremiad drama in Jr. High.
opportunist- the policy of adapting actions
She is such an opportunist when it comes to looking for a good deal.
unconscionable- not guided by conscience
One of my previous friends ended up in a lot of trouble because she was unconscionable when it came to the decisions she made.

No comments:

Post a Comment